Dating Advice I Proved Wrong
Growing up and even in adulthood I have received a lot of advice on dating and relationship. I’m glad I didn’t change who I was in order to have a relationship at all cost. I am now marrying a man who loves me for who I am faults and all. So If there is only one piece of advice you listen to, it’s listen to your heart and stay yourself.
Here is a list of silly things I’ve heard over the years. None of which I’ve listen to and I’m still getting married.
- Don’t decorate your apartment, a man needs to see where his stuff will fit.
- Don’t be too educated, it will be too intimating for men.
“Oh, screw beautiful. I’m brilliant. If you want to appease me, compliment my brain.” – Greys Anatomy
- You must find someone by 25 years of age or all the good ones will be taken.
- Well, you better be rich, or be real good at cooking to attract and keep a man.
- You must always wear matching underwear.
- You should probably lose some weight, because we can’t see your bones.
- Never speak about “women issues”, it will gross out men.
- You should get up before him and put makeup on. Never let him see your real face.
- You must love sports or you’ll end up on your own.
People still expect women to be good girls, to be good wife material, to diminish themselves and swallow their light. It’s better to be yourself. Being someone else is hard work and it’s unfulfilling and fake. Don’t you want someone who will truly love you?
Marriage isn’t an obligation. You can be happy and fulfilled by myself. I know I was. If love comes, it will be true and honest. The kind we truly dream about.
The only peace of advice I’ve received that I liked was: If he doesn’t treat you right, don’t you let him win you over, shake him off and say goodbye.