I have never been a fan of cowboy movies or television series. The Syfy series (also available on Netflix) Wynonna Earp is the exception. Probably because it’s a mix of different genres (cowboy, dystopia, supernatural, horror, etc.) all in a modern day settings and it doesn’t take itself too seriously.
I decided to give this series a chance when I heard that it is written by Emily Andras, who has previously worked on Lost Girl, which I greatly enjoyed.
Wynonna refuses to be a bystander. She will go help when others will simply run away thinking only of themselves.
Waverely, Wynonna’s little sister, is just as feisty, if not more so in later episodes and there are a couple of them where she’s pretty much centre and if Wynonna ever got written out for whatever reason she could easily carry the show.
Family is everything to them, dysfunctional as it may be. In this sense, it is very similar to the Supernatural series and the relationship between Dean and Sam (another series I really like). Wynonna has a special gun that kills demons called The Peacemaker, from Wyatt Earp. Dean has a special gun that kills demons called The Colt from Samuel Colt.
Wynonna immediately gets recruited by government who of course knows about the things that go bump in the night. There relationship is very snarky and a source of a lot of the shows humour.
The amount of sexism being thrown which ever way is typical of cowboy movies and television series and it’s annoying. If it wasn’t for the strong female characters, I would have tuned off a long time ago. It seems that the sexist = evils and they usually get vanquished which is alright by me.
Some of my favourite quotes:
- “Careful, Earp. Doing what’s right, even in the face of ridiculous odds, you are beginning to sound like a hero.” – Doc Holliday
- “Careful isn’t really my style.” – Wynonna Earp
- “Do you have a flamethrower, because a flamethrower is actually fun.” – Wynonna
- “Get away from my girls, you nut sack!” – Bethany
- “Hey Guys! Don’t worry about me, I’ve got this.” – Waverly Earp
- “How can somebody so pretty be smart, huh?” – Chump “Because they’re aren’t mutually exclusive.” – Waverly Earp
- “I want them to tremble with fear before me.” – Wynonna Earp
- “Ooh! Do I get a badge! A code name? Oh my God, a flamethrower?” – Waverly Earp
- “She ain’t anybody’s but her own.” – Doc Holliday
- “Such a shame that all the men in this town are insane.” – Wynonna Earp
- “Ugly & dumb, are you sure we haven’t dated?” – Wynonna Earp