On this day in 1933 construction of the Golden Gate Bridge started in San Francisco, USA. The Golden Gate bridge is one of the most internationally recognized symbols of San Francisco. It’s one of the most photographed bridge in the world.
Here are some facts about the Golden Gate Bridge you may not be aware off:
- The initial results estimated that constructing a bridge would cost $100 million. In the end, it took a little over four years to build the bridge, and the total cost of the project was $35 million.
- Take out any element of a suspension bridge, and the structure won’t stay standing for long.
- The last rivet in the Golden Gate Bridge is solid gold.
- The roadway across the Golden Gate Bridge rises and falls as much as 16 feet depending on the temperature.
- The top of the Golden Gate Bridge is almost two inches wider than the base because of the curvature of the Earth. Take that flat earthers.